Here’s a quick and easy flank steak recipe. We’re going to use a dry rub to bring out the natural flavor of the meat and then sear it on the stove top. This can be done in under 10 minutes. This steak works really well for tacos, salads, and even just by itself as a tasty snack.
- 1.5 lbs flank or skirt steak
- 1-2 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1-2 Tablespoon salt
- 1-2 Tablespoon pepper
- Dash of coconut oil to coat pan
Part 1: Marinade and prep the steak for cooking.
Part 2: Prepare the pan and cook the steak.
Part 3: How to tell if your steak is done plus the correct way to cut your flank steak (you don’t want to mess this one up).
- Coat each side of the steak with a generous amount of garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Heat stove top to medium heat. Add oil. Coconut oil works best.
- Sear meat on each side for 3-7 minutes depending on thickness of cut. Thiner cuts shoot for 3-4 minutes. Thicker cuts will require 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- Test doneness by using the hand touch test (see video for more) or cut a piece to see doneness. Since flank steak is not the most tender cut of beef, you want to avoid cooking past medium. In the above video, you’ll notice that I cooked this cut to just under medium-rare. I like to slightly undercook the meat so that when I heat it back up in the pan for 1 minute, it cooks to a perfect medium.
Important note: make sure you cut the steak against the grain. See the video for more details on this.
Go ahead and enjoy this one!